Re: #269405: : kernel-image-2.6.8-1-sparc64: keyboard problem

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:59:33 +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> A proposed solution is for console-data to remove old boottime.kmap.gz
> files (which contain the sun keymap) when it detects 2.6 kernels on
> sparc. However I am wondering how this affects 2.4 machines; is a Sun
> machine without a sun keymap usable?

Only when the keyboard being used behaves like an AT keyboard. (In
general: no, but more often so on sparc64.)

Thinking about it, the best idea is probably to _ignore_ boottime.kmap.gz
if 2.6 is detected at boot time, instead of removing it the first time we
see it. That way, once you boot back to 2.2/2.4 or whatever, it'll get
used again without the need for user intervention.

Others, please CC: commentary to 269405@bugs.debian.org.

--
Joshua Kwan