Re: hard drive problem

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:51:01AM +0200, simon wrote:
> hello
>
> I have a sparc ultra 2 and i'm running a 2.4.19 linux kernel...
> I use two sca hard disks (not originals)... with one... no problems
> but with the second, i have this error at boot :
>
> SCSI device sda: 0 520-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
> sda: unsupported sector size 520
>
> and then the disk is remove from the filesysteme... all tools like
> scsiformat, fdisk needs an /dev entry...
> I suspect this disk to come from an array of disks or something like that...
>
> I don't have other computer able to perform the format...
>
> if someone has an idea to solve my problem, he is welcome...

I had a disk like this once.  In the 80s.  I actually forked out $35
at the time to get a firmware ROM chip (this was before the days of
flash; you had to pull out the socketed ROM and plug in the new one)
that used normal 512 byte sector sizes.  The deal was that I bought
the drive used from a scrap dealer, and it has special firmware to run
in a 8-bit Borroughs mainframe computer which used 520 byte sectors.
Or was it 540?  Anyway, if you can get normal firmware for it, that will
probably solve the problem.  I think I had to write a special program to
change some of the values in the drive's configuration, too.  It used
generic scsi commands to query and set the pages.  The technician from
the manufacturer mailed me xerox copies of the pages from the manual
that explained all the bits for the commands.

Those were the days.  Thank god they're over.  ~:^^)