Re: Sparc v8/sparc64 Debian port options?

<snip>
> So the logical choice to me seems to be this:
>
> For every sparc package there needs to exist at least 2 packages
> available to meet the demands of the open source sparc based
> community, the current standard sparclite based package and a more up
> to date package compiled for at least version 8 of the sparc
> instruction set with the same files, just a updated arch. Optionally
> I think for the larger and more intensive applications like ssh,
> mysql and the like a third optional 64 bit v9b package should be
> available.
<snip>
> What do you all think? I wanted your ideas before I went any further
> with this.

Check the archives.  As I understand it, from Sarge onwards there is a
move to dropping support for v7 as they are getting very old and not
/massively/ useful.  Old version of Debian will run on them, as will
NetBSD and Gentoo (provided you've got a month or so to build it <g>).
Then with the new 64 bit enabled GNU tool chain, anyone needed v9
versions of their apps could just recompile them from the src deb.

I like your idea; I think it would be nice.  However I can't contribute
the time to make it so and I think the current policy (if I understand
it correctly) is a good, pragmatic decision - so I don't think I'm
really in a position to talk about changes.

I'm not sure what the x86 port does about separate compiles for 3-586
and >= 686; that would seem to be the sensible model to follow.

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

PS some useful information may be found in these benchmarks and
discussions

Martin
inkubus@interalpha.co.uk
"Seasons change, things come to pass"