Re: Installing Sarge on ultra 5

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 10:50, Cesar Alcacibar wrote:
> Hi folks
> I have a problem with ati mach64 videocard with debian Sarge
> I was readin about it and I found a topic in the debian bugtraq systems
> but answer really dont have, the problems its when I run The Xserver
> the screen dont show anything and comes black
> the debian official answer was the Xserver-mach64 pachage is not includded
> in the sarge version
> and do not have other answer about it  does anyone an anwer to this or
> one method to solve this problem ?

Does the video stay black, or does the X server exit and return you to
the console, and show an error message?  A common error message is "no
screens found" when the wrong driver is chosen.

Are you using a PCI video card or the mainboard (built-in) video?

The driver to use for the mainboard Ultra 5 video is "ati".  It is part
of the XFree86 X server package that Sarge includes.

If you have a PCI video card, post a follow-up message with the card
model number and maybe someone will know if it can work with an Ultra 5
and which driver to use.

-- good luck, SP