Re: suggestion on initial IDE-boot configuration

Interesting... I don't think it's unique to Sparc machines.

I've encountered the same problem with a "RevA" Blue&White Macintosh G3.

It looks as though the problem is that the card is capable of faster performance than the PCI bus can sustain. The card advertises it's highest performance level, and the kernel attempts to use it, but the poor old PCI-bus has trouble keeping up. I don't know enough about the hardware protocols involved to tell, but I would think that there ought to be some way of finding out what the PCI bus is (or claims to be) capable of, and taking that into account when deciding which DMA mode to use. Failing that, there ought to be some kind of automatic fall-back to a slower mode if you get more than a few "missed interrupt" indications.

Rick