Re: Ultra 5 silo installation problem

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:07:19PM -0400, John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on an Ultra 5.  After installing the base
> packages, the machine says that Silo will be installed, but it keeps on
> failing.  This is what it says:
>
> "Silo wasn't able to install.  You'll still be able to boot your system if
> you create a boot floppy, but it won't be able to boot without a floppy."
>
> I can't get the machine to create a boot disk either.  I know the drive
> works OK.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?  The kernel version is 2.4.18.
> Any help would be appreciated!

At http://bugs.debian.org/271477 is succesfull report of an installation
with the installer that will be used in in Debian 3.1.

My advice is that you use the new Debian Installer.
And I'm curious if you will encounter http://bugs.debian.org/267428
which is also about a "conflict" of Ultra 5 and silo.

> Thanks in advace.
Feedback is always good.

> John

Cheers