Kernel 2.6.8 - SILO/initrd problems

----(warning.... newbie alert )----

Now that i've got that over with...

I've just installed Debian (sarge-testing release) (no, not for the first time) on a Sparc Ultra 5 machine, I wanted to upgrade to the new kernel (2.6.8), so I naturally did the following like a good Debian user:

apt-get install <linux-kernel-image-package-name-for-sparc64-2.6.8>

It installed, and warned me about setting up the boot loader properly (I thought nothing of it at the time, which, of course, I should have). I continued through, and rebooted, only to be greeted with 2 things I didnt expect:

First: after SILO boot: the white screen was cleared, and a whole lot of loading info came up on the screen, still apparently in openprom (white background, large black text), the cursor scanned rapidly across the entire screen several times (is that normal?) and ends withg the line "Console: switching to mono PROM 80x66", and then the regular linux boot started.. then I encountered the following three lines:

VFS: cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown -block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

booting into openprom, I cat'd the /boot/silo.conf and found:

root=/dev/hda1
partition=1
default=Linux
read-only
timeout=100

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
	label=LinuxOLD

booting LinuxOLD works (as it did previously) and is version 2.4.26

Does the new kernel need something I'm not giving it ? is there something painfully obvious I should do ? and I hate to ask this.. but if it's obvious... why do I need to do it ? (shouldnt it be done for me ?)

P.S I tried adding "initrd=/boot/initrd.img" to the /boot/silo.conf file.. and while linux then booted to my login prompt, the keyboard mapping was incredibly messed up (tried lots of different keyboards, too), when I "stop" back into openprom the keyboard works (but only in openprom)

For instance, "a" is mapped to "1" and "s" is mapped to "2" and "d" is mapped to "3" and CapsLock is mapped to "t".

Sounds like something got royally messed up in some crucial memory area....

ideas?

Thanks, Adam Lesser