RE: Question on extended LBA (48Bit) adressing of HDD

Am Fr, den 10.09.2004 schrieb Jurzitza, Dieter um 16:42:
> Dear listmembers,
> dear Daniel,
> the formatting works now, this has been my fault (as always ...). However, I am running into severe file-system corruption.
>
> I have been initializing a 40GByte Maxtor hdd, copied files to it, and I could boot. Everything runs just smooth.
>
> Doing the same with the new 400G Hitachi drive results in massive file-system corruption. Copying seems to work ok, but after trying to boot from this disk I get a total mess.
>
> DMA is turned off in all cases (at the boot prompt). This ought to be a pickyness of the controler, isn't it

(Promise 133 TX2 PCI-Device)

i use the promise 133 ultra tx2 with chipset pdc20269
 works here really fine with some 200GB and 160GB Hardrives connected
one thing you can check is if you need to enable lba48 somwhere in the
drive with a manufacter tool.
example:
i recived a set of samsung sp1604n wich is udma6/133 capable.
but my controller tells me that all my drives are only using udma5
so i contacted the manufacter and the told me that i need hutil from
samsung-website to set the harddrive(bios inside HD) to enable udma6.
i know udma is not responsible for size but just as example

regards
daniel