Re: debian install for sparc 4c / 4d

> As far as I can tell, noone testing debian-install on a sparc4c or
> sparc4d machine between when it was mostly working and rc1.
I recall last year some folks saying about dropping support for sun4c,
that packages for testing were being compiled using -mv8 or similar.

AFAIK only the 2.2 kernel series boots on sun4d machines.  There has
been interest on this list about trying to get better support for these
machines, ports for 2.4 and 2.6 etc.  But AFAIK there is nothing stable
yet.  Additionally there is no SMP support, which makes these machines
of somewhat questionable useability.

> The rc1 install report I've found (on an IPX) is a failure.  I suspect
> the 2.4 kernel included in d-i just doesn't work on sun4c/sun4d
> machines.
I can't think of any reason why a 2.4 kernel shouldn't work on a sun4c
machine.

> My recomended solution is to document that d-i does not work on
> sun4c/sun4d machines.  While installing woody with a 2.2 kernel and
> upgrading to sarge will work, such users should expect reduced support
> if any.
Seems sensible although I think at some point it might be good to make
some decisions over which machines will be supported.  It seems a little
silly to compile up everything for Sparc-v7 if most folks are using
UltraSPARCs, then again I appreciate that having multiple ports for
SPARC would be a lot of work.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--