Re: Still-OT: nvram and firmware passwords

> Well, I've googled, googled the list archives and searched the Sun
> forums to little avail.
>
> Does anyone have any tips for bypassing the nvram firmware password,
> short of replacing the nvram module?
>
> I'm learning (the hard way) what I should've looked for before jumping
> on a "good" deal. :-)
Forgive me if I seem a little cynical but a 'bargin' machine with an
NVRAM password that the seller doesn't know sounds a little like
something that has been 'borrowed' from it's original owner.  I believe
Sun maintain lists of equipment that has been listed as stolen; you may
wish to check the equipment number.

Three ways come to mind, in reverse order of praticality:

1. There are a number of tricks involving removing chips from live
machines, shorting them out, etc.  I've seen an NVRAM until get restored
to factory settings after it overheated while running.  The data was
corrupted and factoring settings restored at the next boot. All of these
are risky at best.

2. Some sun machines have a facility to reset the NVRAM to factor
settings, either via jumpers on the motherboard or via obscure key
combinations during boot (IIRC I have once been told about Stop+M doing
something like this).  Carefully study of all of the system
documentation should tell you if this is possible.

3. If you can get it to boot (possibly involving customised kernels and
filesystems set up on particular devices) then there are some tools for
altering the NVRAM, including removing the passwords (as I understand
it).

You may find the best money / time / effort ratio is just to buy a new
NVRAM unit.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin

PS If you do suceed in this it might be useful (for the archives) to
tell the list how it was achieved.

--
Martin
inkubus@interalpha.co.uk