Re: Semi-OT: Sun Ultra 10 & Serial Consoles

In article <[🔎] 20040812050254.GA22638@6texans.net> stormspotter@6texans.net writes:
>I must admit, I've never used a Sun before. But, I recently acquired an
>Ultra 10. Now I'm trying to access it via a serial console program from
>an x86, using a null modem cable, so I can start installing Debian on
>it.
>
>The Sun appears to have 2 serial ports; one a 25 pin marked A and the
>other a 19 pin marked B. I'm hooking the null modem cable to the one
>marked A. Then I'm using minicom to try and watch any output. So far,
>I've not had any success. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what I'm
>missing.

Serial port A is correct.

>I'm using minicom from a box running Sarge. Minicom is still setup for
>talking to a regular dialup modem, except that I deleted all
>initialization strings. I have not messed with any DTR or CTS settings.
>I have tried starting minicom both before and after powering up the box;
>neither seems to make a difference. Should I change any of these
>settings or do something different?

Mkae sure you do not have a keyboard attached to the sparc, then it
will default to te serial console.  For ckermit, I use the settings:

set lin /dev/ttyS0
set sp 9600
set carr off
conn

Of cource, use the device you are connection from.  If someone change
the openboot settings, the speed may be differnet.

>Also, it has a Creator 3d video card in it, of some sort. Someone on
>Debian-user mentioned that I might need to pull this before it will
>output anything to the serial console?

No, but you would need to pull it to use the built-in framebuffer as
the console.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html