Debian Testing (using d-i beta4) on Sun Fire 280R

Hi people,

I've just managed to install Debian using the beta4 of the d-i on a Sun Fire 280R.

The process was not without problems, tho. The machine is only accesible via serial console, so I had to do a remote network install.

After many hours of fighting with it, I've come across the following two problems:

1. I installed the kernel for Sparc64, version 2.4.26. However when the machine boots after succesfully finished the installation, it halts with a 'Illegal Instruction' message just after loading the kernel into memory, and returns to the OpenBoot prompt. I have to reboot the machine from the network and use the same kernel that comes with the D-I in order to be able to get a shell, and from there mount the root partition and do a chroot to it.

2. During the install process and even after it has been installed, it has come to my attention that most of the network packets are not getting passed through the default gateway. There are no firewalls in between, all the network packages flow just right inside the local network. But when doing requests to the outside networks there is no answer. Small packages do it well, tho. Ping and nmap probes both work just right, but http requests don't. I had to set up a small proxy box on the LAN in order to allow the outside packages to get out and back, but I have no clue whatsoever for what is causing this problem.

I would really appreciate if you could light my way on these both items, I'm currently building a custom kernel to see if I can find a solution to problem #1.

Best regards,

--
Carlos Oliva G.
Igloo Sistemas Ltda.