Re: 2.6.x with no X on a U5

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Euan Maxwell wrote:

> I had a few problems getting X to run with a 2.6.x kernel.  I dug about
> in the archives and found this article quite useful.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/debian-sparc-200402/msg00073.html
>
> X still doesn't work as well as it does under a 2.4 kernel but it is
> more or less there.

I've been away from my desk for weeks now, but using Euan's suggestion
above and the patch from Ben referenced in the link, I was able to get X
to at least start. (Unstable, U5, 2.6.5, Built-in ATI chipset)

Now I'm left with just two problems. First, I can't seem to get my poor
mouse to work. I've got a Type 5c and have these entries in my
XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "BusMouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

My full config XF86Config and kernel config files are here:

http://www.valites.net/kernel_config

I seem to remember reading in the archives there were known issues with
Ultras and mice, but I can't find the post now.

Secondly, I don't have any console fonts. From the time the machine boots
with the "Booting Linux..." message until X starts, all I see is the first
6 messages about uncompressing the kernel on the white prom background.
I'm sure this is a kernel config mistake, but I can't seem to find what I
left out. I must be going blind & would appreciate if someone could point
out what I'm missing.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst