Re: 2.6.x kernel for Sparc?

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:00:38PM +1000, Jim Watson wrote:
> I run a 2.6.5 on sunblade 100, I built it from kernel.org sources with Ben
> Collin's patch here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/debian-sparc-200402/msg00013.html
>
> but i have not figured out how to get sounds yet...
I too run 2.6.5 on a Sun Blade 100, built from kernel.org sources with
Ben Collin's patch. I do have sound, but not in all apps. Sound does
work with mpg321 and aumix if you compile the ali5451 module and use
alsa (I don't have OSS, just oss emulation).

Any other application with alsa-oss-emulation besides mpg321 and aumix
produces a terrible amount of noise, and any application that tries to
use alsa native, complains that it can't open the device.

It could be that the native alsa issue is a 64bit issue that should be
resolved by loading the snd-ioctl32 module, however, doing that and then
opening a native alsa device freezes my machine. (The snd-ioctl32 module
is also needed on AMD64 machines, see also the thread at
http://www.x86-64.org/lists/discuss/msg03978.html )

Also, dual head with 2 pgx24 (1 onboard, 1 extra card) with 2.6.5
doesn't work (second console stays black when moving consoles, X
complains that it can't initialize the second screen). Dual head with
2.4.25 works very well though.

Admar