Re: U5 - woody (2.4.24) - 3com 3crdag675 - pci wifi adapter - madwifi driver

Hi,

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, JLB wrote:

> > Hey, it's Sunday. Give us a break. :)
> > (..) Is /dev/hda3 a 'whole disk' partition?
>
> That is precisely how I did it. (I have an Ultra 1, BTW.) And, as noted
> earlier, I enabled ALL (!!!) of the various "advanced partition selection"
> (or whatever they call it) options, INCLUDING (but not limited to) Sun
> disklabels... and no dice. :/

Why are you actually compiling your own kernel? Do you really
need new functionality? And did you leave a working 2.4.18 kernel
as a fallback scenario? My LILO can boot a 'linux.old' kernel
if the newly compiled one fails. (Debian's make-kpkg script from
the 'kernel-package' package is a great help in this.)

Even though the Linux 2.4 code is mature, compiling kernels for
SPARC is a delicate process. Only since Woody does Debian
distribute a gcc which is known to compile SPARC kernels out of the box
correctly (previously, a special beta version of GCC had to be used.)

I have had a few stupid problems myself when I tried to compile
my own first SPARC kernel. I was happy that some other SPARC-people
on IRC (#sparc on freenode) helped me. They advised to really use the
Debian kernel images - it saves quite some time and tinkering.
However, new kernel images (currently only up to 2.4.24) are only in
the Debian testing and unstable branches, not in Woody.

If you really insist on making your own kernel, you should NOT
use the default configuration of the Linux kernel tarball. It is
not prepared for SPARC use and you will forget important tweaks.
Instead, start with the Debian default .config from [1], run
'make oldconfig' and invoke only new options that you expect to work.
If that still fails, you are in development land. After all, 2.4.26
is brand new; you might be doing things that someone has never done
before. You'd better have the time and attention to file a
detailed bugreport and help developers finding the bug (or fixing
it yourself) instead of only crying for help... :)

I hope some of this will help you.

Regards,
Pieter-Paul

  [1] http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/kernel-config