Can't locate module char-major-4

Hi All,

I found the following logs in my syslog many-many times:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-4
last message repeated XX times

I think this alias can be turned off using
'alias char-major-4 off' in modules.conf, but I don't want to do this at
the moment, because I don't know what does this alias.
So this is the question. :-)

Other things: the previous logs are followed by the next log messages:

init: Id "X" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

where "X" means: "1", "2", "3", "4" and "5".

I have UltraSparc I (netra) with stable Debian, 2.4.25 custom kernel (I've
compiled it).

Only two UTP patch cables and the power cable are connected (no console,
keyboard etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jana