From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
Subject: Re: PLplot FTBFS on sparc due to Octave problem
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:47:55 -0600
To: Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org>
Cc: jwe@bevo.che.wisc.edu

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:37:09PM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Here we go again.  My plplot packages FTBFS on sparc because Octave is
> segfaulting.  Here are the relevant parts of the buildd log:
> (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=plplot&ver=5.2.1.cvs.20040115-3&arch=sparc&stamp=1074204496&file=log&as=raw)
>
>     [...]
>     Setting up octave2.1 (2.1.52-1) ...
>     [...]
>     ./configure [...]
>     [...]
>     checking for octave... yes
>     checking Octave version... panic: Bus error -- stopping myself...
>     attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
>     save to `octave-core' complete
>
> In other architectures, the last line read:
>
>     checking Octave version... 2.1.52
>
> The configure script runs something very simple, like this:
>
>     octave -q -f 2>&1 <<EOF
>         printf(octave_config_info("version"));
>     EOF
>
> The last successful buildd of plplot on sparc was done with
> octave2.1_2.1.50-3.  Are you aware of any problems regarding Octave 2.1.52
> on sparc?

No, not really. I think it took it a while to get built there, but then it
looks as if the entire buildd daemon system was lagging after the security
incident.

As for Octave, I don't think it has any new code in which Sparc is treated
differently as a platform.  Could it be the gcc toolchain that is acting up?

Dirk

--
Mr. O'Neill comes off as obnoxious and arrogant, but smart. It seems
the president never got beyond the first two characteristics.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Rafael