woody installer stops after prompting for root floppy

I saw mention of this problem in the list archive, but without an
obvious resolution.

I am running the woody installer on an Axil 235 which is a
SparcStation 10 clone.  In case it matters, I am using a serial
console since the monitor for this machine broke.  I booted from the
rescue floppy dated 2002-05-21 and got to the point of

"
floppy0: WARNING disk change called early
VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER
"

I followed the instruction, but nothing happened.

I can post a complete log of boot messages if that's useful.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison