Re: Finding superblocks, etc. (long)

> I will send a bottle of whisky (or your choice of beverage, or make a
> charitable donation) to anyone who can help me fix this.
GlenFiddich
http://world.glenfiddich.com/enjoy/range/whisky_range/special_res.html
:-)
> And now when I try to reformat the new disk, fdisk tries to make it
> something around 6-7 GB in size, and after that first partitioning I
> can no longer convince it that it's dealing with a full 40GB.  But I
> have the identical drive on an identical machine (Woody/Ultra5) with no
> problem at all.
You probably have a pre 3.31 Ultra 5/10 OpenBoot PROM on the affected
system.  Flash it with this patch to see larger than 7GB with IDE:
http://sunsolve.sun.com
Patch-ID# 106121-18
You will need a hard disk with bootable Solaris to be able boot the patch
file.