sysvinit: no output on headless sparc64

Package: sysvinit
Version: 2.85-9
Severity: normal

This is a headless sparc64 system.
After init is executed,
there is nothing in the console; the last message is
about mounting the root filesystem readonly.
It seems that the system completely hangs.
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda1 ro -p console=ttyS0
It may be relevant that I see every kernel message twice
on the console (but once in dmesg)
after and including the following message:
Console: ttyS0 (SU)

The workaround is to set
#define INITDEBUG  1
in init.h , and recompile.

I do not claim that I understand why this solution works,
but it does.
I am interested in figuring out what the actual problem is,
and find a solution to it. I need hypotheses to test and
questions asked well (or the answer, if you have it:).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: sparc
Kernel: Linux szoketto 2.6.1-rc2.mdioctl.ext3 #6 SMP Fri Jan 9 15:18:49 UTC 2004 sparc64
Locale: LANG=hu_HU, LC_CTYPE=hu_HU

Versions of packages sysvinit depends on:
ii  initscripts                 2.85-7       Standard scripts needed for bootin
ii  libc6                       2.3.2.ds1-10 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  sysv-rc                     2.85-7       Standard boot mechanism using syml

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból