Kernel and PCI SCSI hardware

Hi all,

i have an ultra 5 with debian sarge installed. I would like to put a scsi
controller into that box to support a SCSI Tape Drive.

Well, naive as i am i though it would be enough to just get the kernel
sources (2.4.23), configure it and compile the module for an adaptec 2940
(just had a spare on).

I was very surprised to see that there are only two "SCSI low-level
drivers" the ESP sbus card and the PTI Qlogic sbus card. Where are the PCI
Devices ?

(btw. I did enable "Support for PCI and PS/2 keyboard/mouse" and i do get
"3com c590/3c900" PCI Network card support)

After searching the web for a day i found that people are able to use the
adaptec or the nec/symbios PCI SCSI cards. But i can't figure out how.

Any Ideas ?

greetings from snowed in Austria,

Oliver