Re: ss20 crashing and I'm totally stumped!

Matthew Twomey wrote:

For some entirely unknown reason, it started crashing about a week
ago. It will stay up for 20 hours or so, then crash. I am racking my
brain trying to figure out why:

Incidentially my ss20 (2.4 kernel) debian firewall/dns/www also became totally unresponsive (~99% system in top) during these last weeks.

After some investigation it turned out that one of my Windows boxes on the internal network had cought a blaster like worm. The Windows box was keeping the poor ss20 busy by pinging the whole internet. (tcpdump revealed that quite easily). Once the worm was removed, everything was back to normal.

If your ss20 is really crashing hard, how about testing it with some of the memory sticks removed - some times memory goes bad for no particular reason....

Regards,
Michael A.