Re: cannot find sparc64.gz

On Thursday 21 August 2003 21:51, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:39:19 +0200

> It's a 32-bit library, put it under /usr/lib not
> /usr/lib64.

Right, I put the .so in the wrong place, without noticing it cause I had
overwritten the 64 bit version instead of deleting it and copying the new lib
in the right place. :).
The problem, however, was related to an error of mine, I did forget to copy
the .a lib with the shared object file.
Mplayer is now compiled and operational.
I'm quite impressed with the result: using SDL and mlib, an MPEG4 streams a
lot better than what it did with the previous compile. Full screen output is
still quite utopistic, but using a bit of frame dropping and a smaller
windows, at least the movie it's viewable, and most important (since I have
to do previews) is that audio is *finally* in sync with video.
I'll work on some alternative ways to offload the U10, but at least I see that
with the last X11 upgrade in unstable, X11 native output is also faster, even
outside of mplayer. I'll try, at a later time, to install a test system on an
external Sun Multipack, to see if there is a real offload of the CPU.
The "dirty" kernel messages while playing video are still there, though.

Here's a litte pico-howto for lurkers that would like to try reproducing my
experiment:

- Get mplayer at www.mplayerhq.hu (latest stable is 0.91, while 1.0rc1 is
expected to be released in a few days)
- Grab medialib binaries (shared object, archive lib, and headers) at:
http://www.sun.com/processors/vis/mlib.html
(warning: you have to agree to sun license...)
- Untar, unzip & put the libs in the appropriate places (the right library and
archive lib are under the "sparcv8plus+vis" trees on the extracted archives)
- Copy header files to /usr/include (or whatever)
- Compile mplayer
# sparc32 ./configure --with-mlibdir=/usr/lib (or the dir you extracted
libmlib.so)
# sparc32 make
# make install (I used checkinstall, to have a .deb package at hand)
- Enjoy :)

Any optimization and tweaking support is greatly appreciated.

See you soon,
Antonello.
--
Antonello Iunco <etn at libero dot it>
Cruising the Web on a (Modified) Debian-Powered Sun Ultra10