Re: cannot find sparc64.gz

On Monday 18 August 2003 21:35, David S. Miller wrote:

> > Success with "make xconfig", kernel compiles ok, but after image
> > decompression (by SILO, of course), the box hangs with a "data access
> > exception" and I'm back at the "ok" prompt.
> The kernel is probably too big. "make image" then use the image
> found under arch/sparc64/boot/image

Hi David (glad to hear from you!)
I don't think it's a matter of image size. In fact, I buit once a bigger
image, and Silo complained about the image size ("Image too large", or so)
and then brought me back to the SILO prompt, not the PROM "ok" prompt.
Moreover, the image I built is in fact smaller than the "stock" 2.4.21 image
supplied by Debian. They are both gzipped images, "inflated" at boot time by
SILO.
The only difference I notice is the use of EGCS in the Debian build, while I
used a more vanilla gcc-3.3 (the current unstable builds).
I used the method adviced in the Debian Sparc port home page, since I have a
sun4u box, that is:

# make-kpkg --subarch=sun4u --arch_in_name --revision=custom.1 kernel_image

then dpkg -i, of course.

I'll try to compile the good old way, let's see if something changes :)

> Just use make oldconfig, editing what you need by hands.
> Make sure also to have module-init-tools installed for
> 2.6.x builds.

Hmm... Since I'm not that into 2.6, I would like to use a sort of frontend to
have a more human-readable list of options, however I'll try with 2.4 first.
Basically I need to add support for i2c and bttv, since I got a PCI frame
grabber board (I read in the bttv docs that the driver works good even on
Sparc machines).
Moreover, I'm trying a home-made dual head display with a PCI Ati Radeon
(since Radeon is one of the few drivers that gets shipped with Xfree on
Sparc, even compling from source the whole thing. Like someone else before
posted in the list, I tried with a Matrox Millennium II but I'd got no
support at all from Xfree.
My aim is to expand the graphic capabilities of this box at least to have a
dual head like in my ex-PC and, if the poor 333-Mhz processor allows me to do
it, to see a DVD movie (or even a divx) on the 21-inch, eyecandy monitor of
my U10.

--
Antonello Iunco <etn at libero dot it>
Cruising the Web on a (Modified) Debian-Powered Sun Ultra10