Re: Video card problems with Sun Ultra Sparc 10

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:05:12 -0400
Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:

> >      I tried use the XF86config in a old message in
> > this list
>
> Don't use an XF86Config-4, just run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
> and make sure to choose mostly defauly settings (except make sure to
> choose sunffb for the driver).

This is buggy too.

The problem is the sunffb driver forcefully tries to load the 'dri'
module, but it is listed in the list of modules to load near to top in
the XF86Config-4 config file Debian generates.

Since 'dri' is a load-once only module, X startup fails when sunffb
tries to load it a second time.

This is the first problem.  The new kernel images using devfs seem to
create a second problem. The xfree86 config didn't offer 'sunmouse' as
an option in the mouse device menu.

I have to fix up XF86Config-4 files in this way constantly on my
Ultra60 due to these issues.