Re: German type5 keyboard support with X

Andreas Rother <rother-ml@gmx.de> writes:

> since I switched from SuSE to Debian on my Ultra10, I can't get my keyboard
> fully functional with XFree. My keyboard is a german type6, but I configured
> it as a type5, as someone said the differences are almost
> non-existant.

Right.  I use Type 6 and my XF86Config-4 with Woody X stuff says:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "sun"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "type5_euro"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps grp:switch"
EndSection

> My Problem is that the 'less-greater-pipe'-Key (left of 'y') only
> works on console.

Maybe the German maps are just wrong?

> The EUR-Key (AltGr+E) works neither with X nor console, but that's
> not important for me.

I think it will only work in an appropriate locale: Latin-9 or maybe
UTF-8.  E.g. start the X server under LC_CTYPE=de_DE@euro.

> I've googled at little bit and found some postings about some broken
> UK-Keyboard maps,

The basic breakage wasn't in the layout, and only applied to the
console maps (assuming you mean what I've posted about).  I think the
results are in testing now.

> but the solution seems not applicable to me because I don't
> find an section about "type6" in my /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/sun.

I can send xkb entries from a Solaris system if you'd like to work on
the Debian version and contribute changes.  (XKB is rather a mystery
to me in the absence of any useful documentation as far as I can
tell.)

> I'm quite stuck with this problem because I don't know how to put that
> together. Can someone give me a hint howto get the keycode from one
> particular keypress and how to map that permanently?

Install the xkeycaps package and use that to generate a .xmodmap file
which modifies the basic map.  [I don't know what the current
convention for the name of that is in XFree86 to ensure it gets picked
up by startx -- can someone say?]  It sounds as though a bug report
would be in order anyhow.