Re: tftp

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:21:39PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > I can turn the thing on, set the mac address to something sensible,
> > get an ip from rarpd running on a linux box and start downloading
> > linux-a.out [for sparc] by tftpboot. The problem is that it doesnt
> > download the whole image, it stops at some arbitary [spelling?]
> > point and then tries to execute what it's got -obviously that doesnt
> > work as it hasnt got the whole image. Any ideas? the tftpd seems to
> > work ok as i can download the entire image using a tftpclient on
> > another machine.
> I've had a similar problem with an SLC stopping at 1ec00 every boot.
> This was because OpenBoot doesn't respond to ARP requests while it is
> downloading the image.
yeah, was watching tcpdump while it downloaded and i couldnt work out
why the server was continually arping whohas 192.168.0.14 when it should
know -it just assigned it!! [from /etc/ethers]

> Solution - hardware the SPARCs MAC address on the server (arp -s IIRC
> or /etc/ethers) or increase the ARP time out beyond the couple of
> minutes taken to tftp the kernel.
hmm a little googling gives

echo 60000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/arp_timeout
but...

root@nomessin:~# echo 60000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/arp_timeout
bash: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/arp_timeout: No such file or directory

right, im running kernel 2.4.18 and i think rarpd and arpd are seperate
from the kernel?

root@nomessin:/proc/sys/net/ipv4# rarp -a
This kernel does not support RARP.

root@nomessin:/proc/sys/net/ipv4# /bin/ps ax |grep [r]arpd
  492 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/rarpd -e -v

any idea how to increase the arp timeout?

> can of ethereal(1) shoudl confirm that this is the case as you should
> see a bunch of ARP requests from the server after the download halts.
>
> Additionally I've had problems with a more loaded network - it seems
> early versions of OpenBoot don't retry if they loose a packet in the
> middle of the download - they just appear to stop.
yeah, if the arp thing doesnt work, ill try it with a crossover cable
(the sparc is on a rather cheap and sometimes busy hub atm)

thanks

--
Hugh Saunders [GCv3.12] GCS d- s: a--- C+++ UL++>$ P+ L+++ E--- W-- N++
K- w-- M- V? PS-- Y PGP- t-- !5 X- R- tv-() b- DI+ D- G++ e- h++ r z?