Ultra 1 - second ethernet not recognized

Hi!

I have a Sun Ultra1[0] here, and want to make a firewall out of it.
 So I put in a second ethernet, SBus, "270-1881-02 rev 1" (AUI/BNC),
 but the kernel doesn't seem to recognize it (eg only eth0 shows up
 in dmesg[1]).

A "test net" via OpenBoot shows
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Using AUI Ethernet Interface
 Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
 External loopback test -- Lost Carrier  (transceiver cable problem?)
send failed.

Using TP Ethernet Interface
 Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
 External loopback test -- succeeded.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

which looks suspiciously like it's only the on-board interface (one
 ethernet, AUI/TP, is built in).

Is there a magic incantation I have to make (some module to load),
 or does that smell like the magic smoke has escaped this card?
 Any pointers appreciated.

0: Sun Ultra 1 SBus (UltraSPARC 143MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.11, 96 MB memory installed, Serial #7745258.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:76:2e:ea, Host ID: 80762eea.

1: sunlance.c:v2.00 11/Sep/99 Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx)
eth0: LANCE 08:00:20:76:2e:ea
eth0: using auto-carrier-detection.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- I could even see a union for help desk workers (lord knows, they
-- need all the help they can get).                  - Russ Allbery