Debian 3.0r1 (2.4.18), keyboard, & SOCAL+

I currently have available a Sun E3500 that is running Debian 3.0r1 and I
 have a couple of questions.

1. A custom kernel was rebuilt adding a couple drivers and removing some
 others. This kernel now will boot and run fine, except the keyboard is
 unresponsive. I've checked and there are keyboard drivers installed in the
 kernel. Are there other specific drivers that are need for the Sun
 keyboard/mouse to work that I may be missing?

2. I've read that for the SOCAL+ to work, that micro code needs to be added
 to the driver. I also saw a recent discussion that this may be broken in the
 newer kernel. Is this correct or is that a different driver that is having
 problems?

S.W.

-

S.W.