Re: Ultra60 for production environment?

Almost all unexpected reboots and crashes I encountered with debian were hardware related. Sun hardware is generally better than x86 stuff, but not always.
Just remember the golden rule "if it ain't broken don't fix it"

Daniel van Eeden <daniel_e@dds.nl>

Daniel Sewell wrote:
Even though I don't have my Ultra 10 in a "production" environment, it is doing several tasks for my home office, such as web & file serving, e-mail spam/virus filtering, firewalling, proxy-filtering, etc. It's on a home network with 4 other computers. I was using the box as a desktop, so it has X, KDE, Gnome, Window-Maker, etc running on it, also.

This morning, I suffered a power outage, and I don't have an UPS yet, so my box finally went down after 76 days or so of uptime. I'm convinced it could have gone a lot longer if I had had an UPS.

I've never had Debian crash on me, or reboot unexpectedly. I've updated it several times (except for the kernel), and I've never had to reboot. You get 1000's of packages with Debian (though there are some that only work on x86), but you should find everything you need for a server.

I used to use an old x86 box for this job, but in the future, I may keep my eye out for old Sun hardware (if I need to replace my box anytime soon), and load Debian on instead!

I think it should work fine for you, but I don't know anything about RAID support.

Daniel 'Doc' Sewell
Software Engineer
debian-sparc@thezealot.net