Re: Debian on Sun Enterprise 250

P Ballasy <ipeteconfig@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Being unfamiliar with Sun hardware and any Debian
> distro, I have some specs to run by you all to see if
> I should, in reality, dump the Solaris 5.7 OS on our
> Sun Enterprise 250 and replace it with Debian 3.0.

Our E250 here was installed with Suse Linux years ago before I came along
and started using Debian everywhere.

ian.cass@aerosmith:~ > uptime
 11:25am  up 173 days, 23:11,  2 users,  load average: 5.62, 6.58, 6.76

ian.cass@aerosmith:~ > uname -a
Linux aerosmith 2.4.19 #1 SMP Tue Aug 6 15:47:06 GMT 2002 sparc64 unknown

It's only ever rebooted on the rare occasion that I upgrade the kernel. It's
our mail server & is rock solid stable.

We've also got 2 x E450's and an E420 which are also rock solid stable.

I don't think you'd want to use the E250 as a desktop device because Linux
does not support the environment monitoring system on these machines, so the
fans run at full speed all the time rather than switching to low speed. For
us, this doesn't matter as they are all cabinet mounted.

--
Ian Cass