compile ide-scsi

I am trying to get my IDE CD-R working on my ultra 10 running woody.
To enable scsi emulation, I have compiled 2.4.21 and responded either 'm'
or 'y' to all the SCSI support stuff in xconfig.  After I
compile the kernel, i have sg and sr_mod loaded as modules but ide-scsi is
not available in /kernel/drivers/scsi using modconf.

I have found that ide-scsi.c and ide-scsi.h exist in
/usr/src/2.4.21/drivers/scsi. but, ide-scsi.o does not exist in
/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/scsi.

how can i specify that ide-scsi get compiled such that it can be loaded
as a module? am i missing something using xconfig?

thanks,
andy