aide

So I decide to install aide instead of tripwire in my debian box. I download it and find out it requires mhash. I then download and install mhash, which places its libraries in /usr/local/lib:

raub@katrina:~/todo/aide-0.10$ ls /usr/local/lib/
libmhash.la  libmhash.so  libmhash.so.2  libmhash.so.2.0.0  libz.a  python2.1
raub@katrina:~/todo/aide-0.10$

Then, when I run the configure file for aide, it barks saying it cannot find mhash:

raub@katrina:~/todo/aide-0.10$ ./configure
checking for working aclocal-1.4... missing
[...]
checking for regcomp... yes
checking for mhash_get_block_size in -lmhash... no
configure: error: You must have libmhash properly installed.
raub@katrina:~/todo/aide-0.10$

What am I missing here?