Re: Installation of debian on sparc IPX

At 11:22 +0000 12/10/03, Steven Hill wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to Linux and have only ever installed red hat through the gui installer. I am interested to learn more about it and have decided to install debian on a sparc IPX that I got free from work. It has an Ethernet/scsi2 sbus card installed and a floppy disk drive. I am also in the process of putting together a terminal cable so I can connect it to my pc (running m$ windows xp). Can anyone recommend the best way for me to go about the installation?

Thanks,

Steve.

	Hello there

My debian machine is also a IPX with weitek powerup cpu. The way I installed was to boot off a CD. AFAIK, booting off the floppy will not work in that machine. I had a bit of a problem doing the netboot, so I went for the cdrom. I downloaded the non-us ISO for disk 1. Once I booted it, I told it to download everything off the net.

One of my main problems during installation was partition the HD: make sure / is under 1GB and you should be alright. If you have any questions, either post here or mail me directly.