/lib64/libc.so.6: unexpected reloc type 0x08

I am currently running the "testing" distribution on an Ultra 10.
A trivial compilation produces the following error message:

    echo 'int main(void) { return 0; }' > x.c && gcc -o x x.c && ./x
    ./x: error while loading shared libraries: /lib64/libc.so.6: unexpected reloc type 0x08

The relevant packages are:

Package: gcc
Version: 4:3.3.1-2
(though gcc itself reports "gcc version 3.3.2 (Debian)")

Package: libc6-sparc64
Version: 2.3.2.ds1-10

I know how to work around the problem with the sparc32 command or
with the -m32 option to gcc, and those are fine as temporary
workarounds, but is there something wrong with my setup?

If others are seeing this, does anyone know what the error message
means and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks,

    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu