packet recompiles

[sorry for writing the last few messages with a wrong email-address]

Hello

I'm trying to recompile some essential libraries for Sparc, since
I know that some of those are meant for V7-architecture, whereas
binaries for V8 and V9 could be much faster.

Now, I'd like to do this the Debian way. The question is:
if I do "apt-get -b source glibc", which optimizations
will be done? Or do I end up with another V7-binary? If
nothing will be changed, how do I tell the compiler to
compile this for V9? (same for openssl and ssh). Preferably
in a generic way, without modifying the makefiles.

Thank you
Peter
--
Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin