From: Ben Collins [mailto:bcollins@debian.org]
Sent: 03 November 2003 17:49
To: Pieter-Paul Spiertz
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Want to have sparc-mini.iso working on my Sun Ultra 10

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:34:25AM +0100, Pieter-Paul Spiertz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > > I will try to work on the CD boot system from
> > > http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sparc-mini.iso
if
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > If you (Ben?) think this is not something important, let me known
which
> > > bugs you think I must work on. (..)
> >
> > Don't even bother. The image is something I generate by hand. The issue
> > is in SILO, and I'll end up getting around to it really soon.
>
> You do not answer the whole question. Please do, we like to help :)
>
> Together with Geert Stappers, I would like to test (and possibly improve)
> the new Debian installer on a few Sun boxes too, this month. It's always
> good to have a focus.

Booting that hand made ISO image has nothing to do with the new
installer. I've already started work on getting images out of the new
installer, but haven't tested anything yet. Testing that is as simple as
net booting. So your desire to help in that is not hindered or affected
by the SILO proble, and the SILO problem is not affected by work on the
new installer.

I do not know why the current ISO image breaks on some systems, but I do
know that it is a SILO problem.

No offense, but SILO is pretty simple and straight forward. If you need
me to point to places to look at in the code, then you probably aren't
going to find the problem on your own.

If you feel confident, then get the ISO image, copy the files off of it
(mount -o loop, or burn it, it doesn't matter), and then use mkisofs to
create a new image with whatever changes you've made for second.b and
isofs.b. It's not that hard to do. The docs in SILO tell you how to
invoke mkisofs to get the bootable image.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/