libssl0.9.7 build fails sparc32

Not certain what the best list is for this ... I've been struggling to
get openssl to compile in debian with apt-build for awhile.
A week ago I easily built from source (straight from openssl site)
but debian build with apt-build always dies with:
=====
chmod 700 debian/openssl/etc/ssl/private
dh_fixperms -X etc/ssl/private
dh_perl
dh_shlibdeps -l`pwd` -Xlibssl.so
/usr/bin/ldd: line 1: /lib64/ld-linux.so.2: cannot execute binary file
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on `debian/libssl0.9.7/usr/lib/v9/libcrypto.so.0.9.7' gave error exit status 1
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
Error while building libssl0.9.7 !
   Sorry, can't find libssl0.9.7, is it already installed?
(Remove it first, or try running 'apt-get clean')
=====

I'm trying hard to stay within debian bounds because once I
stray to non-debian source compile it's harder to hold the pieces
together.
Does anyone have a suggestion re getting this package
to compile with apt-build?

Thanks,
Heitzso