RE: Hello

First install of Debian ever was on a Sun.

I was very familiar with Solaris, though.

But I used the install docs, and it went like a breeze, terminal and X and
all...

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/install

As far as released versions, you may want to check Debian's release
methods...stable, testing and unstable. That should tell you a few things
about the old versions thing, there are very good reasons to that.

And about kernel compiles...
Have you ever configured an x86 kernel? If yes, the limited number of
options sor the Sparc architecture should make you confortable.

Nico