upgrade sun mouse to ps2 mouse

I've got an Opentec AXi, ultra 10 clone with Debian Sparc 3.0 r1 installed &
running happily with the Sun type 5 keyboard & sun mouse. But the mouse is
pretty crappy. So I bought a ps2 mouse. The machine has extra sockets to plug in
ps2 mouse & keyboard.

Running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 I can change the mouse from sunmouse to
ps2 mouse, but I'm unclear on what /dev to hang it off, and if I have to
modprobe some module, or some other magic to make it work.

It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Amanda