DRM/DRI? (was: [debian-sparc] Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:53:34 -0400
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:42:59AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > > Kent West wrote:
> > >
> > > Another example: running "glxgears" only shows a frame rate of 26 to 44 FPS.
> >
> > GL isn't a good comparison, since it relies on video hardware, not the
> > CPU (unless of course you are running it as software-GL).
>
> If you have a creator3d card (and DRI is properly enabled both in
> your kernel and your xfree86 configuration) glxgears should give you
> a few hundred frames per second easily.

BTW, what is the difference between DRI and the drm.o kernel module? I
have the drm.o kernel module loaded and the 'Load "dri"' line commented,
and I can get about 470 fps. Without the drm.o module, the numbers are
much lower, but above 100 fps. I don't remember having tested other
configurations.

--
Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
-----