Re: ss20 crashing and I'm totally stumped!

Michael Andersen <michael@nospam.ibab.dk> wrote in message news:<AmwR.wx.19@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> Matthew Twomey wrote:
>
> >For some entirely unknown reason, it started crashing about a week
> >ago. It will stay up for 20 hours or so, then crash. I am racking my
> >brain trying to figure out why:
> >

> Incidentially my ss20 (2.4 kernel) debian firewall/dns/www also became
> totally unresponsive (~99% system in top) during these last weeks.
>
> After some investigation it turned out that one of my Windows boxes on
> the internal network had cought a blaster like worm. The Windows box was
> keeping the poor ss20 busy by pinging the whole internet. (tcpdump
> revealed that quite easily). Once the worm was removed, everything was
> back to normal.
>
> If your ss20 is really crashing hard, how about testing it with some of
> the memory sticks removed -  some times memory goes bad for no
> particular reason....
>
> Regards,
> Michael A.

Well, right after my last post, it crashed again. I tried three new
things:

1. Since every crash was resulting in a required manual fsck, I
changed all the file systems to ext3.

2. I loaded a 2.4 (non-smp) kernel because I've heard of issue with
smp kernels on ss20s (although, I've never had an issue before). I
also needed a 2.4 kernel for the ext3.

3. Due to the CERT advisory regarding openssh, I blocked ssh access
from everywhere but the specific addresses I connect from.

Now, after seven consecutive days of it crashing in 20 hours or less,
it has been up for about 40 hours. I am keeping my fingers crossed. My
bet is going with the openssh vulnerability as the culprit, but time
will tell.

-Matt