Re: SIGILL on SPARCstation 10

On Wed, 2003-09-24 19:24:00 -0700, Markus Mayer <a9325155@unet.univie.ac.at>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20030925022400.GA3551@delta.uandlich.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian 'testing' on a SPARCstation 10 and getting really
> desperate since I'm experiencing a SIGILL problem with libc.
>
> The last update installed the newest libc (2.3.2-7), but now each program
> that uses sscanf (and maybe other functions, too) produces an illegal
> instruction (SIGILL).
>
> E.g. this program will fail now:
>
> int main()
> {
>
>   float f;
>   sscanf("123.45", "%f", &f);
>   return(0);
> }

Happy birthday. Debian/unstable started to use hardware multiplication
and division, which (in it's full size) isn't supported on all Sparc
CPUs. Obviously, your CPU suffers from that. There are some ways out:

- Get a CPU supporting hwmath or
- Get a newer kernel and bet it's emulator for these cases works.

MfG, JBG