Re: LCD on a Sun Blade 100

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 07:04, Michael Daum wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> has anybody managed to get a Fujitsu Siemens 4312 FA LCD display
> or similar configured on debian/unstable (xserver-xfree86  4.2.1-11)?

I am using an NEC LCD1880SX on an Ultra 60 using a Raritan APSSUN
VGA/PS2 converter.

> I've got the datasheet of that model specifying horiz. freq. 30-81 kHz
> and vertical freq. 56-75 Hz. No success reconfiguring
> xserver-xfree86 with this info. No reactions on the display, black screen.

I general, from what I have found, LCD panels are extraordinarily picky
about their sync frequency.  They are not true "multisync" monitors that
can sync at any frequency between the lowest and highest.

For instance, prior to purchasing my LCD1880SX, I had an NEC LCD1850E,
which is almost identical to the 1880SX, but will only do 1280x1024 at
either 60Hz or 75Hz, instead of the 1880SX's spec which says
1280x1024@60 or 1280x1024@76!  I my case, I had the converter box which
could _only_ sync at 76 Hz.  I had to sell my old monitor and get the
new one just to hook up my new Ultra 60.

FWIW, it worked great after I got done.  I realize, of course, after
writing this that it is no help whatever, but I can tell you that when I
tried to send a 76Hz signal to my 75Hz 1850E, I got a black screen, but
the LED on the front did not go orange, it stayed green (which on the
NEC monitors indicates that there is a signal).  Maybe that will help
and at least indicate where the problem might be.

> The LCD is ok connected to another machine. I've managed to get
> it up and running on a SuSE linux PC using sax2.
> So that's no hardware problem I tried to copy the modlines calculated
> by sax2 over to the debian/sparc XF86Config-4 file. That didn't help
> neither.
>
> The display is running fine with 1280x1024-75 on solaris as well using.
>
> Anyone that could help, please?
>
> 	Micha.
>
> --
> -- Michael Daum
> -- Natural Language Systems (NatS)
> -- University of Hamburg, Department for Informatics
> -- http://nats-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~micha

Chad Carr                                                 ccarr@tais.com

There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
                                                          --C.A.R. Hoare