Boot with a good tty screen

I run a debian stable on SPARC Ultra 5 with a 2.4.19 compiled by
myself, but  I never succeded in  having a boot tty  screen with
black  as background  color and  white as  foreground and  small
fonts.

On the  contrary I have  to stand  an annoying tty  console with
white screen  and black and  large fonts.  It is also  very very
slow in scrolling pages.

What I  would like  to have  is the screen  that boots  with the
kernel contained in the stable release of Debian.

Where  I have  to choose  this?
In  the kernel  flags?
In  the boot parameters?

Thank you in advance.