Re: Labeling a IDE Disk (ST3120026A) with 2.418/2.4.21/2.6.0 with Promise TX2

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:48:08 +0200 (MEST)
Matthias Schreiber <compeiler@gmx.de> wrote:

> My question now is: how works the Controller in Linux respect the
> Cylinder/Heads/Sectors ... What are the correct  values to put in the fdisk??? Putting
> the logical values which work for DOS (in my case 16383/16/63) results in a
> Harddisk with just 8GB capacity...

Hi Matthias,
as the kernel recognizes your controller and drives, I am doubtful your
problem is related to kernel issues.
I did something similar with a 40 Gb hard drive, and it worked following
the steps below:

1) Write down the values for cylinders, heads and sectors that appear in
kernel boot messages
2) Fire up FDISK and create a new sun disklabel on the disk from scratch
("s" command, if I don't fail)
3) Leave (for now) cylinder setting as the suggested default provided by
fdisk
4) Erase the Linux partitions fdisk creates automagically for you when
creating the disk label.
5) Enter the "expert" menu by pressing "x" key
6) Select the cylinder tweaking option by pressing "c"
7) Enter the number of cylinders you recorded in step 1
8) Write your partition table using "w"
9) Re-Start fdisk and create your partitions. You should see the
correct cylinder number (the "p" command is your friend), while
"physical cylinders" should display the number of cyls you set up during
the sun disklabel creation.
Remember not to put a Linux swap partition as disk slice 1, as it may
lead to data corruption.

Bye,
Antonello.

--