Re: Curernt support for SS1000?

-->"Martin" == Martin  <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> writes:

  Martin> I was under the impression that sun4d was supported undeer
  Martin> the 2.2 series but had been broken (and not fixed) under
  Martin> 2.4.

i have read that elsewhere too.

  Martin> I also thought all sun4d boxen were SMP.

so far as i am aware (and i'm no Sun expert), the only sun4d machines
were the SPARCservers 1000, 1000e, 2000 and 2000e(?), all of which i
believe are SMP capable.  the 1000e (which i have) takes up to 4
motherboards on a common backplane, each of which has two m-bus slots
for a maximum of 8 cpus.

i imagine it would run with one CPU, but where's the fun in that?  :-)

  Martin> NetBSD?  I can't see anything about sun4d on their site but
  Martin> they seem to support some of the SPARCbooks and IIRC some of
  Martin> them were sun4e for which support is even rarer...

their mailing lists seem to point in this direction :-)

  Martin> If you haven't asked already then these people
  Martin> http://www.sunhelp.org/lists.php may well be able to shed
  Martin> some light on the situation.

thanks.  i'll chase that up.

  Martin> I have a 2 CPU SS1000E on the desk next to me and would
  Martin> dearly love to get it running something more up to date and
  Martin> useable than the current broken version of Solaris on it -
  Martin> please do let me / us know if you find anything.

will do.

thanks,