RE: Kernel recompile issues on a SS20

OK, you need all of that...

>       # apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18   # use latest version

Or whatever source you have.

>       # apt-get install fakeroot

Never used it, go as root, or use sudo.

>       # vi /etc/kernel-pkg.conf                # input my name and email

Nice stuff to add your name and info into the package.

>       $ cd /usr/src                            # build directory
>       $ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
>       $ cd kernel-source-2.4.18                # if this is your
> kernel 	 	source
>       $ cp /boot/config-2.4.18-386 .config     # get current config
> as   		default
>       $ make menuconfig                        # customize as one wishes

Standard stuff, nothing weird.

>       $ make-kpkg clean                        # must run (per: man
make-kpkg)

Yeah, needed, especially when you do another compile of the same kernel
version after changing configs.

> ???  $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -486 --initrd \
>               --revision=rev.01 kernel_image \
>               modules_image # modules_image is for pcmcia-cs* etc.

Already commented fakeroot.

You probably do not need initrd, so skip the option as mentionned lower in
the document.
You do no need the modules_image or pcmcia-cs.
So the following is usually enough:

	make-kpkg --appen_to_version -xxx --revision=yyy kernel_image

replace xxx by someting informative, like 'sparc', replace yyy by your
revision number of your compile.

>       $ cd ..
>       # dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb pcmcia-cs*.deb # install
>

> Should i replace -486 with sparc or should I type it in verbatem?

It is an iformative field. you can use 'foo' or 'toto' if you want, but
then, only you would understand...

Nico