Re: Debian and v210

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:07:38AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 03:41:35PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following up to my previous Sun v210 related message. I've tried to boot a
> > 2.4.21 kernel and now it's something better. Linux started to boot, and at
> > the end it terminated with a message "Neither SBUS nor PCI found." Can anybody help me?
>
> > PCI: Probing for controllers.
> > Neither SBUS nor PCI found.
>
> This is where Dave Miller has to come in. I suspect it's a variant of
> the standard PCI buses, but needs extra detection to probe it. I'll see
> if I can get more info from him.

At the end I've added a couple of small patches to the kernel to report the
PCI bus type as it sees it. As it the problem is with the PROM related code,
as prom_getproperty calls return an empty string regardless which property
is queried.

The PCI controller has the following type:

compatible               pci108e,a801
                         pci108e,8001

thus, looking at the kernel source, it should be driven as a SCHIZO PCI
controller. (the id pci108e,8001 is included there). After hardwiring this
type to the detection code the driver initialization tries to look up the
'reg' property, but this again fails:

POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: Probing for controllers.
SCHIZO: Fatal error, no reg property.

So as it seems it is a PROM handling related problem.

--
Bazsi