Re: mangle error using Shorewall v 1.4.5 on kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4-sun4u

Huh? I'm guessing you installed the latest stable version (though it's hard to know, since you never mention what version gave you trouble). It says right near the top of the release notes:

"At install time, the kernel used is 2.2.20, however a 2.4 kernel, the latest stable branch is included for those who wish to benefit from it."

If you were expecting it to install with a 2.4 kernel, that's got nothing to do with Debian "looking unprofessional," "losing credibility," or being "stupid," and everything to do with your not paying attention to what you were getting before you installed it, and assuming it was something it isn't.

If you were expecting the latest and greatest... well, Debian stable isn't it, and never will be -- check out the "testing" or "unstable" branches, but don't flame the Debian maintainers when you didn't even take the time to glance at the release notes.

David Demland wrote:

Not only does it make our industry, as a whole, look unprofessional, but it makes each of us working in this industry lose credibility.

In short I think it was stupid that the new CD images did not install the newest kernel. I would hope that in the future these PR issues would be looked at.

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.